After fulfilling his promise to the Mandalorian Din Djarin, the universe’s most notorious former bounty hunter war of stars has forcibly taken control of Jabba’s criminal empire on Tatooine. If sequence 1 of The book by Boba Fett a good representative of what the rest of this Disney + franchise will be, we can look forward to an exciting space gangster story.
This article contains ‘spoilers’ for episode 1 of Boba Fett’s book, titled Stranger in a strange land.
The Sarlacc Escape
A large part of the episode is devoted to “flashbacks” that depict a very important event in the history of war of stars which was previously limited to deconciled books and comics: How Boba Fett survived the Sarlacc who seemed to devour him Return of the Jedi.
In the anthology book Stories about the Jabba PalacePart of the Legends continuity, we learn how the Mandalorian managed to escape the Sarlacc’s stomach while making telepathic contact with the creature whose mind merged with that of a Choi named Susejo whom he was in the Had eaten past. The canonical version shown in episode 1 of The book by Boba Fett omit the telepathic elements, but the result is the same. The injured fat escapes into the sands of Tatooine’s surface, but that is only the beginning of its plight. His armor is stolen by Jawas – it would eventually end up in the hands of Cobb Vanth, whom we know from the trilogy. Consequences Yes Episode 9 of The Mandalorian– and becomes a slave to the sand dwellers.
Eventually he will earn the respect of his kidnappers by creating a new monster for the universe from. defeated war of stars, and save one of your own. This explains why this new version of the character wears a Gaderffi or Gaffi staff, a traditional weapon used by the Tatooine indigenous people.
Now we wonder if future episodes in the series will continue to explore Boba Fett’s past in this way.
Tatooine’s new “Daimyo”
“Daimyo” is a Japanese word that was used in the Middle Ages to refer to the great feudal lords who ruled over large areas but were in the service of the shogunate. This is the first time we’ve heard a gang boss in the universe in this way war of stars.
The interesting thing is that episode 1 of The book by Boba Fett shows a new daimyo who claims to rule very differently than his predecessors Jabba and Bib Fortuna. Fett insists that his “government” must be based on respect, not fear. As Fennec Shand fears This can make you appear weak to your new enemies, including the Mayor of Mos Espa.
The problem is, Boba Fett is actually weak. It may be due to its age, the effects of its passage through a Sarlacc’s stomach, or a condition we are not aware of, but it does seem to require constant treatment in a Bacta aquarium.
We know well what these stories are like. The new “boss” gets into trouble keeping control of his business and enemies emerge who try to seize the opportunity to keep it all. You have to decide whether you want to show strength or stay true to your principles. Basically The Godfather.
Boba Fett was never a well-developed character outside of the novels, games, and comics of the decanonized expanded universe. But still, This remake doesn’t go well with the cold and brutal bounty hunter image that we seasoned fans adore..
Details, Easter eggs and references in episode 1 of The book by Boba Fett
- When Boba Fett escapes the Sarlacc, the remains of the khettana, Jabba’s barge, are destroyed in Return of the Jedi.
- The “watchdogs” of the sand dwellers are Massiff. These reptilian creatures first appeared in Episode II: Attack of the Clones and they keep coming back, mostly in stories set on Tatooine. They are enemies in video games Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Yes The Unleashed Power II.
- The English voice of the droid 8D8 with guests paying tribute to Fett belongs to British actor Matt Berry. He is best known for his roles as Douglas in The IT crowd and Laszlo in What we do in the shadows.
- Twi’lek Garsa Fwip, El Sanctuary administrator, is played by Jennifer Beals. We know her best for her iconic lead role in Flashdance. We hope to see more of her in the future.
- We believed the only way to get water on Tatooine was through farms that dehumidified the air or exported it. Now we discover that under the sand there are strange containers that can be dug up.
- Max Rebo, the most popular musician in the universe war of stars, makes a cameo on The Shrine of Garsa Fwip.
- The uniform of the mercenaries attacking Fett and Fennec in Mos Espa is somewhat reminiscent of Zam Wesell. She was the Clawdite bounty hunter who accompanied Jango Fett on the trip Episode II: Attack of the Clones.
- This episode is directed by Robert Rodriguez. He also directed a season two episode of The Mandalorian and is mostly for films such as. known Desperado, from dusk to dawn, Sin city Yes machete. Together with the soundtrack by Ludwig Göransson, he manages to give the chapter a very “western” tone.
Stay tuned for GamerFocus as we will continue to analyze episode by episode The book by Boba Fett.