Protesters following the kidnapping and murder of Bobbi-Anne McLeod. take part in the vigil “Reclaiming the streets”

The family of Bobbi-Anne McLeod – the girl who was kidnapped and murdered last weekend – was accompanied by a crowd of mourners tonight as they walked with candles from their house to the bus stop where she disappeared.

Police said today there was “no known link” between a 24-year-old murder suspect and the teenager when they continued to ransack a house four miles from her disappearance.

He remains in custody for further questioning, while another 26-year-old man was released without further action after he was also arrested on suspicion of murder.

Bobbie-Anne, 18, was kidnapped last weekend while waiting for a bus to meet her boyfriend before her devastated family was told that her body had been found Tuesday night.

Tonight, relatives walked from their home to the crime scene with candles and pictures of the teenager, where they were joined by other local mourners.

And tomorrow night large numbers of women are expected to attend a public vigil on Plymouth Hoe as part of the “Reclaim the Streets Movement,” which started after the murder of Sarah Everard.

Bobbie-Anne, 18, was caught last weekend while waiting for a bus to meet her boyfriend before telling her devastated family that her body was found Tuesday night

Family, friends and members of the public gather at Sheepstor Road bus stop for a candlelight vigil in honor of Bobbi-Anne McLeod

A candlelight vigil was held near the bus stop where the teenager went missing over the weekend

A man lights candles on the floor near where the teenage boy was kidnapped last weekend

Family, friends and members of the public gather at Sheepstor Road bus stop for a candlelight vigil in honor of Bobbi-Anne McLeod

Today’s vigil (pictured) takes place on Friday evening before another event, “Reclaim the Streets”

Family members gather at Sheepstor Road bus stop for a candlelight vigil in honor of Bobbi-Anne McLeod

Images of the popular 18-year-old were used at the vigil, which drew crowds from all over Plymouth

Women all over town said they were now afraid of going anywhere alone – especially at night.

Kathleen Frost, 81, who lives next door to an area searched for evidence yesterday, said she felt less safe today as a result of the murder.

She said, “I don’t usually keep my doors locked, but they were last night.

“I’ve only been here three years so I haven’t really settled in yet, but it seemed like a nice company and it’s definitely a shock.

“I didn’t hear anything that night, but the day it happened I had to walk my dog ​​in the dark. I was a little nervous that day anyway, so now I’ve heard what happened to Bobbi, I’m not going to do this anymore.

“I didn’t sleep last night just thinking about what this girl must have been through.”

A local woman, Anne, said it was “just devastating” and supports the proposed “reclaiming the streets” protest.

She said, “I have my children at home who are not doing well, but if I didn’t, I would probably protest now. Therefore, I fully support the protest.

“That should never happen, at the end of the day we should be able to walk the streets feeling safe.

“I think there should be more security, there must be video surveillance at bus stops. If it were there we could at least see what happened and there could have been a warning.

The killinhas also led to renewed calls for more community and authority action to combat male violence.

Labor council candidate Charlotte Holloway said there had been “renewed anger” following the disappearance of Bobbi-Anne.

She added, “Plymouth women can add a bus to the list of other things we cannot do without fear.

“We’re afraid of drink spiking and needle spiking, we can’t jog through parks at night. We can’t live our lives the way men do. ‘

Tomorrow night, large numbers of women are expected to attend a public vigil on Plymouth Hoe as part of the streets recapture movement launched after the murder of Sarah Everard. Pictured: A demonstration in London in March

Officials cordoned off a property in Southway today, and local residents reported their arrival from 8 a.m. Photos taken in the area show police tape draped over hedges leading to one of the lots

Louie Leach, 17, Bobbi-Anne McLeod’s grieving friend, is comforted by her family

Plymouth Labor police and crime spokeswoman Cllr Sally Haydon added: “A young woman with her whole future ahead of her could have waited at a bus stop without losing her life.

“Women in Plymouth should be able to travel anywhere in our city without having to constantly worry about their safety, and this terrible news reminds us once again that it is not.

“Urgent action is needed at both national and local levels to address the issues that are causing these dire events to happen at alarming levels across the country.

“I request an urgent meeting with the police, partners and senior councilors. We must all work together to make women feel safe and to put an end to violence against women and girls.”

Cornwall’s Reclaim The Night, an annual event organized by the Cornwall Women’s Center, said Bobbi-Anne will be honored at the next event.

The group wrote on Facebook: “Another woman’s life was taken in a senseless, despicable act of male violence. We’ll be honoring her on Reclaim The Night next week, but we shouldn’t have to. Bobbi-Anne should still be here. Our thoughts are with loved ones. ‘

Tomorrow from 6 p.m. the vigil will take place in Smeaton’s Tower.

Leave a Comment