Meghan Markle texted her aide to say that Harry was “constantly being verbally abused” by the royal family

The Duchess of Sussex texted a former assistant whom Harry was constantly berated by the royal family for her strained relationship with their estranged father, Thomas, as news released today – which he has saved under the name “Tilly” – has shown.

Meghan, 40, sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), the publisher of The Mail On Sunday and MailOnline, for five articles that reproduced portions of a “personal and private” letter to Mr. Markle, 77.

ANL has appealed a High Court judge’s decision to give Meghan a summary judgment – meaning she won her case without trial.

During this week’s hearing, ANL attorneys told senior judges they were looking to rely on new evidence from Jason Knauf – former communications secretary to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex – who claimed the Duchess wrote the letter with an understanding that it could have leaked.

Texts saved under the pseudonym “Tilly” show how Meghan writes to the former communications secretary of the Sussexes, Jason Knauf

In his reply, Knauf praised the letter as “really strong” and said it was “authentic … but all with resigned sadness”.

An exchange from August 2018 showed Meghan discussing the drafting of the letter with Mr Knauf.

She told him, “Everything I’ve designed is with an understanding that it might have leaked, so I’ve been meticulous in my choice of words. But please let me know if you notice anything as a liability.

Then she said to him: “Since I have always only called him papa, it can make sense to open up like this, even though he is less than on his father’s side. And in the unfortunate event that it leaked, it would draw hearts. The rest is more factual than orchestrated or contentious. Just a call for peace and a reminder of what actually happened ”.

In a fourth text she said: “Trust me – worked down to the smallest detail”, to which Mr. Knauf replies: “Don’t leave anything to chance, that’s the only way”.

And when the letter was finished she wrote, “Honestly Jason, I feel amazing, cathartic and real and honest and factual and if he does leak it then it’s on his conscience and then at least the world will know the truth. Words I could never speak publicly ”.

After text excerpts and e-mails between the Duchess and Mr Knauf were used in court, further texts were published on Friday at the request of the PA news agency and The Times.

Meghan previously told the appeals court that the main purpose of the letter was to “encourage my father to stop speaking to the press,” following public criticism and a “media attack” surrounding Mr. Markle.

“It was only when my father started criticizing the royal family that high-ranking members of the family and their advisors expressed concern about the public attacks and expressed their desire to stop them,” she wrote in her testimony.

Meghan says she feels “cathartic” after writing the letter, adding that she “struggles over every detail that could be tampered with.”

The appeals court also heard that Mr Knauf – on instructions from Meghan – provided information to the authors of Finding Freedom by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand – which led Meghan to apologize for misleading the court. Emails released today show Meghan and Harry are discussing the book with advisors

In the newly published text messages sent to Mr Knauf while she was composing the handwritten letter, the Duchess expresses her frustration with the royal family’s reaction.

She wrote: “The trigger for what I do is to see how much pain H.

“Even after a week with his father and endless explanations of the situation, his family seems to forget the context – and comes back to the question, ‘Can’t she just go and stop?’

“They basically don’t understand that, at least by writing to his family H can tell:” She wrote him a letter and he is still doing it “.

“By taking this action, I am protecting my husband from this constant abuse and, while unlikely, it may give my father a moment to pause.”

During Harry and Meghan’s interview with Oprah Winfrey earlier this year, the couple revealed their troubled relationship with the monarchy, and the Duke announced that he felt “subordinated” to the Prince of Wales.

He said his father stopped taking his calls when he tried to determine his future role in the monarchy in late 2019 when the Duchess was under heavy pressure.

Harry said to Winfrey, “But at the same time – I will always love him – but a lot of suffering has happened and I will continue to make it one of my priorities to try to heal this relationship.”

During the appeals court hearing, ANL attorneys argued that an article in People magazine in the US containing an interview with five of Meghan’s friends misrepresented the letter and made “nasty” allegations about Mr. Markle.

In that email, Harry describes how “giving the right context and background would help bring some truths to the public.”

The new texts and emails show that Mr Knauf said in an email to Meghan in December 2018 that he had spent “almost two hours” with the authors of the unauthorized biography

Andrew Caldecott QC, ANL representative, said the article incorrectly portrays Mr. Markle as “a cynical and selfish response that ignores her plea for reconciliation in a loving letter”.

In the newly published texts, Meghan told Mr. Knauf that the letter “does not open the door for a conversation”.

The appeals court also heard that Mr Knauf – on instructions from Meghan – provided information to the authors of Finding Freedom by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand – which led Meghan to apologize for misleading the court.

In his testimony, Mr Knauf said that the book had “been discussed routinely”, which “was discussed several times personally and by email directly with the Duchess”.

Emails released today show Meghan and Harry are discussing the book with advisors.

Former Royal Communications Officer Jason Knauf (pictured behind the Sussexes on the left). He now works for Harry’s brother Prince William

In her testimony released on Wednesday, Meghan said, “When I approved the passage … I did not have the benefit of seeing these emails and I apologize to the court for not remembering this exchange at the time.

“I had absolutely no desire or intention to mislead the accused or the court.”

The new texts and emails show that Mr Knauf said in an email to Meghan in December 2018 that he had spent “almost two hours” with the authors of the unauthorized biography.

“I took her through it all,” he wrote.

“They’re going to set the book to run until the baby is born and it’s going to be very positive.”

Mr Knauf also told the Duchess that, according to the authors, the book would be a “celebration for you that will correct the record on several fronts”.

At the end of Thursday’s hearing, the three senior judges said they will take time to review their decision and decide on the ANL’s appeal at a later date.

Prince Charles (left) and Meghan’s estranged father Thomas. Meghan previously told the appeals court that the main purpose of the letter was to “encourage my father to stop speaking to the press,” following public criticism and a “media attack” surrounding Mr. Markle

Leave a Comment