Maryland authorities are investigating a cyber attack that took the state health department offline last weekend after discovering whether information was stolen.
“The Maryland Security Operations Center is investigating a network security incident involving the Maryland Department of Health. The Maryland Department of Information Technology, Maryland Department of Health and Maryland Department of Emergency Management are working closely with law enforcement partners at the federal and state levels to resolve the incident and gather additional information, “Department spokesperson Andy Owen said in a statement across from the hill.
“Certain systems have been taken offline as a precautionary measure and other precautionary measures have been and will be taken,” said Owen.
As of Monday morning, the department’s website will redirect to the main Maryland government website.
This attack comes just days after Maryland announced that three cases of the COVID-19 variant of Omicron were discovered in the state. The cases were found in people who lived in the Baltimore area, with two of the infected people from the same household.
“This is a rapidly evolving situation and we will continue to update Marylanders as new information becomes available,” said Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R).
Earlier this year, the city of Leonardtown, Maryland, was taken offline due to a ransomware attack carried out by a security breach at Miami-based tech company Kaseya. The ransomware gang REvil reportedly asked for $ 45,000 for every computer that was taken offline, despite city officials not considering paying.
Post Source Thehill