NEWYou are now ready to listen to Fox News articles!
Former Vice President Mike Pence was silent on Thursday and made no comments or statements a year after the deadly attack on the U.S. Capitol.
The then Vice President was in the Capitol on January 6, 2021 when right-wing extremists and other supporters of then-President Trump stormed the complex in a devastating and violent effort to disrupt Congressional certification of President Biden’s election victory over Trump.
Pence was on Capitol Hill overseeing the joint session of Congress that voted to confirm the election and was pressured for days by the former president and his allies to overturn the electoral college results and return the elections to the states . Some of the rioters who stormed the Capitol claimed Pence’s death and shouted “hang Mike Pence”.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST FOX NEWS REPORTS ON THE CAPITOL ATTACK ANNIVERSARY
By performing his constitutional duties instead of following Trump’s wishes and rejecting the results, Pence has endured the wrath of the former president and some of Trump’s most devoted loyalists and supporters.
Last year, Pence – who, along with members of Congress, had to move to safe rooms during the storming of the Capitol – described the attack as a “dark” and “tragic” day in American history. He stressed, however, “that on the same day we have convened Congress again and done our duty under the Constitution and the laws of the United States.”
In comments that he first made in June and has repeated since then, Pence acknowledged his now frayed relationship with his former boss, noting, “I don’t know if we’ll ever agree that day.”
WHAT PENCE FOX NEWS ABOUT COOPERATION WITH JAN. 6 HOUSE COMMITTEE
But the former vice president also seems to downplay the importance of the attack, describing it in an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network late last year as “a tragic day in January” which Trump’s critics believe was used by Trump’s critics to attract supporters of the former president.
Pence has also repeatedly reiterated his belief that there were “irregularities” in the 2020 presidential election, but he does not go as far as the former president, who continually accuses, with no concrete evidence, that the election was “JUST” and ” stolen.”
But his acknowledgment that he did his “duty” to uphold the election results pretty much guarantees that Pence will lose the support of part of the MAGA world should he run for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination.
Some of Pence’s top employees – including Marc Short, one of Pence’s closest advisors and his last chief of staff in the vice president’s office – are working with a special congressional committee investigating the Capitol attack, sources have confirmed to Fox News.
FORMER VICE PRESIDENT MIKE PENCE PUZZLE ON JANUARY 6
Bennie Thompson Rep of Mississippi, chairman of the House Democratic-dominated Electoral Committee, said he wanted to hear directly from Pence.
Asked during a layover in New Hampshire a month ago if he would cooperate with the committee, Pence told Fox News and The Associated Press that “we will look into each of these requests as they come in.”
Wyoming Rep Liz Cheney, a vocal anti-Trump Republican and one of only two GOP representatives on the committee, told NBC News Thursday, “We look forward to continuing to work with members of the former Vice President’s team, and I look forward to it I also look forward to his cooperation. “
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
And Cheney, who was relieved of her leadership position in House GOP for her anti-Trump comments and faces a primary challenge from a former President-backed Republican, praised Pence. She called him a “hero” for what he did a year ago.